About Rumson, New Jersey
When it comes to living in New Jersey, given the nearby beautiful beaches, amazing parks & heavenly rivers — not to mention the fine dining and overall wonderful lifestyle — you’ll likely agree, Rumson is a great place to live.
What do you love most about Rumson? Let us know!
- Rumson is located in the northeastern corner of Monmouth County, NJ, situated between Sea Bright, Fair Haven, Little Silver and the glorious Navesink & Shrewsbury Rivers.
- The Garden State Parkway, a convenient connector to points north and south, is about a 15 minute drive from Rumson.
- The Red Bank train station is on the North Jersey Coast line of NJ Transit and is located about 10 minutes from Rumson.
- In addition, NJ Transit offers a bus line to New York Port Authority allowing for another easy way to commute.
- Newark Liberty International Airport is the nearest airport (about 26 miles).
Rumson Real Estate
Rumson Homes and Luxury Properties For Sale
Rumson features homes of many different ages and sizes from modest capes and bungalows to historic Victorians and legacy homes to luxury new construction and waterfront properties. While the estates of old still remain, there are many newer, spacious homes that make up the neighborhoods of this town.
Rumson has two town-specific schools, Deane-Porter elementary school, and Forrestdale middle school. For students of ninth to twelve grade, Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School provides an exceptional educational experience. RFH was recently ranked 144th best high school in the United States by Newsweek magazine.
Several other private schools are also located in Rumson.
- Holy Cross Academy was awarded a Blue Ribbon award by the U.S. Department of Education in 2015 and provides a Roman Catholic parochial education.
- Rumson Country Day School is a well-respected private educational institution, long a favorite for many local families from Rumson & beyond.
History of Rumson
One story about the history of Rumson says it was bought by early settlers from Native Americans in exchange for rum. As the tale is told, from this the town derived its name.
While the currency paid is not clear, Rumson was purchased by English settlers in 1665. Because of its location beside what became known as the Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers and just a stone’s throw from the Atlantic Ocean, Rumson was always a source of attraction.
In its early days it was a summer colony for wealthy industrialists and bankers from New York. With steamships and rail lines transporting New Yorkers to the shore, Rumson became a convenient summer hub for many who enjoyed boating, swimming, and sea bathing.
Many estate properties and organizations date back to Rumson’s long history including Rohallion, a home designed by Stanford White and built in 1887 for a descendent of President John Adams, the Sea Bright Lawn Tennis & Cricket Club (founded in 1877 in Rumson, despite the name) and Rumson Country Club (founded in 1908.)
Make Rumson Your Home
Explore Rumson Real Estate
Interested in becoming a resident of a beautiful Rumson? Resources Real Estate has an office in town and is well-versed in all aspects of the town.
Our Rumson sales office team can find you the home for which you have been longing.
Selling Your Home in Rumson
Looking to sell your home in Rumson? Be sure to hire an experienced agent in Rumson home sales. We will prepare a comparative market analysis for your home to give you a clear understanding of your home’s current value. We will also employ our award-winning marketing team to ensure the best results. And, of course, our partners in Leading Real Estate Companies of the World and Who’s Who in Luxury Real Estate will be first to know about your property’s entry into the marketplace.
What’s Your Home Worth?
There’s no cost, and no obligation. Enter your address and get three automated estimates — Instantly.
Call us at 732.212.0440 or contact us to schedule your complimentary real estate consultation.